This project started some 50 plus years ago when I was looking for a new hobby after my parents had to move and leave our model railway behind. I popped along to the local library after dad suggested toy soldiers! They had two books on wargaming Featherstones "War Games" and Young and Lawford's "Charge! Or How to Play War Games" my fate was sealed. I would have a world of imagi-nations. I didn't know when or how but have one I would. It took while heheh.
On 14/5/2014 I ordered my first Marlburian figures for my two nations. Not the individually based Spencer Smiths that lured me to my doom so many years ago but massed bases of 10mm figures. I loved them and the die was at last cast.
One thing the Dark age project achieved was make me a firm favourite of 10mm on packed bases. My games would be built around the rule set "Maurice" and the size restrictions of my table meant battalions of 4 elements with a maximum element size of 30x30. With that in mind I started some test elements.
First effort was 5 figs on each base. looks like 28mm and the column is rubbish. Only saving grace was I only needed 20 figs for a battalion.
10figs per element facing looks much better. Liked the added depth but a column just doesn't do it for me even reducing the base depth wouldn't satisfy. This is now 40 figures per battalion. That's a serious amount of figures.
I called it a day there. I took a look at 20 per element . It looked really good but the thought of painting a minimum of 1500 figures just did not appeal. Even with the final solution I am looking at perhaps 900 to 1200 figures.
Having deciding on my figure mix I turned to the most important bit. Designing both sides flags. Took ages but I love the end results.
the first was Biehlberg. The background colour for the national flag would be the uniform colour and the points would be alternately red and the facing colour.
My final decision was to have infantry 5 wide on 30mm frontage I chose 5 because I was going to use Old glory that come in strips 5 wide. I went 3 ranks deep on 30mm depth . I really liked that. The cavalry are mounted on 30 x 40 bases 3 riders wide by 2 ranks deep. Love this. The project is basically complete now and the history and results can be seen at
a young mans dream of imagi-nations realised
I still have some plans for the future that you can follow at
imagi-neering a plan for the future
Finally I guess I should display the dream until now.
The Duchy of Biehlberg