I was quite happy with the end result and it kind of left me with an urge to try my hand at more.
Next step was to get enough armoured and unarmoured cavalry to give me a reasonable amount to field in a 4 or 6 point Arthurian Saga force. Again I didn't NEED these troops so again it was more a pleasure project than a must have. Sixteen figures would be the target and the price of the metal figures kind of made my eyes water. I thought again and in the end I decided that my experience with Gripping beast plastic infantry had been a pleasant one and I still had a lot of figures and parts left from the 3 packs I had bought and thus available for spares and conversions. The plan was therefore to invest in a box each of late roman cavalry and dark age cavalry. twelve figures in each box would be enough for Arthur's pals and some late roman cavalry to go with my earlier painted army purchase.
When they arrived I realised they were going to need some work. I started to by carving out all the plastic inside the reins. It was just to ugly for me to ignore. I would have preferred mounts closeer to the shorter, sturdier mounts of the early dark ages but I had little choice but to accept the noble warhorses that come in the pack. Anyway, I spent many hours and a lot of enjoyment preparing the figures . I mixed heads , weapons made brass spears and javelins. I added spare javelin bags to the horses and swords and scabbard slings to the dark age cavalry. After the first few I started to change body positions cutting arms to different angles and cutting figures at the waist to swivel the upper torso round. I really did have a lot of fun. I changed some of the horse legs from model to model to give even more variation and some of the armoured figures received horse armour from paper and card.. that was perhaps a bit laborious but it made a huge difference.
The first 4 armoured troops were action figures I had to change the legs on a couple to make them look more like charging but that was really easy. The armour on the charging horse was a pain in the arse and I left any further armour for standing horses .
The second group were standing or trotting mounts I only armoured one of the horses this time. that wasn't so pleasurable.
Now my attention passed to the unarmoured guys. I wanted to be able to use these in a number of dark age British forces so I made quite a few with Celtic or generic dark age shield designs rather than christian emblems. Again lots of work but very satisfactory.
Again I did an action group and trotting group. .
So it ends or maybe not. I acquired a box of Saxon thegns recently and have a lot of dark age infantry figures left. I may just try my hand at Early Saxons next. Oops did I just order Saxon bucklers and shield designs... <SIGH>