A few days with PVA glue, cork sheets and some expanded polystyrene (the white crumbly crap not the nice blue good stuff. Why make it easy'" I had a few rocks that I quite liked. I also found a domestic crack filler in the local hardware shop that was extremely light and dried super quickly for smoothing over the polystyrene blocks forming the rocks.. So chocks away and lets do it. Armed with some very large and cheap pots of acrylic paint I managed to get some very presentable items. Monopoly houses and plastic cards provided evidence of habitation and suddenly I had some nice looking bits with a lot of gaming possibilities.
I set them all up with a new sea mat marked in 4" hexagons from tiny wargames which is simply one of the prettiest sea boards I have seen. The overall effect was just delightful taking my level of talent into consideration.. I am so pleased with the end result. here is the end result so far with some ships added in for an idea of sizes. The ships are the lovely card kits from war artisan