Total Pageviews

Thursday, 23 June 2016

Pour le Roi et la France....

                            Today its the turn of the French "hair curlers" to see the light of day. I am even feeling the urge to get them on a wargames table once more. Perhaps I can use them in honours of war. These are the old style figures once more with matchstick cavalry. Hope you like them.




The fascinating part about the infantry is that they are simple pins. They have no form or shape. The addition of mass, flags and nice bases gives them a shape they don't really have.




 Because of the nature and cheapness it is of course possible to include things like wagons and pontoons and many different foreign troops.







 



The cavalry are the matchstick and card type which remind me so much of the "Toby jug" style paintings of 18th century battles




These were the last of the seven years war troops I made .  The household troops.

4 comments:

  1. Well I must say Robert that I love those! They definitely should see the light of day once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much.. I'm afraid they are the miniatures version of marmite. You either love them or hate them. I loved these from the moment I read Andy Callan's article in the wargamers newsletter.

      Delete
  2. Despite the fact that the very idea still appalls me, LOL, they are very effective at suggesting troops in mass. I'd play with them, as long as I didn't have to own them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh a LOT. It really does sound awful doesn't it. one of the highlights for me was my wife going round various pharmacists back in the 80's asking to see the hair rollers they had and then calmly measuring the lengths of the pins. It was a joy to watch. If you think the hair curlers are an awful idea, I found a guy making troops from embroidery frames. I think you call them "granny grids" in the states. Now they did strike me as laughable but again en mass they work really well.

      Delete