Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 15 June 2016

His majesty's army in germany..

                        This was the very first of my Hair curler armies built way back in 1980 something. It wasn't a pure roller army because the cavalry are matchstick and card.  It was the following pictures that I found in a folder somewhere that caused me to clean the troops up and write the how to article I posted at hair curler armies
Looking at these pictures they had to have been taken in the last 10 years after a rebasing.

                          Built back in 1980 something they are still fit for duty today and despite the beautiful sculpts we have around today I feel no shame in putting them on a table. A big part of cheapo armies is to make them look good with banners, terrain and buildings.



 For many years I wanted to play in the 7yw. For reasons of work, cash, and the horror of all those facing colours and detail, I never got round to it.




Hair curlers made it possible and over time I have built an army that includes British, Hanoverians , Brunswick, Hessians etc etc...  Battles have been fought and lost against the french but the pleasure of the flags and colours never goes away


























Next up the French

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I must admit seeing these pictures again brought back many happy memories of games played with my old group in the UK and I think they still look good now.

      Delete
  2. Now I do like those:). They look damned fine to me and I would be more than happy to play with them on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve
      at the time and now even, these satified many of my wargaming needs. They were easily recognised (colours and flags) and looked like a large body of troops. They were definitely on the figure side of the game rather than boardgame counters. They neatly filled that slot for me and whatsmore they were bloody cheap

      Delete
  3. I have to say that they really do look amazingly good, even though my brain recoils at the thought in the abstract! For the "mass effect" look, they work nearly as well as your individually much more more detailed mdf figures. Not that I am planning on giving up my own 28's any time soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how forgiving the eyes can be the further away you get from things. I think you see what you "want" to see. I guess that lace colours and buttons aren't quite so significant at 50 yards away. ;)

      Delete