Total Pageviews

Saturday, 23 April 2016

Becalmed in still waters......

                     I have been working on my 6mm collection for well over a year now and the armies are (for me) huge. I have never managed to sustain an effort quite like this one ever. However it seems the voyage is stuck in the doldrums right now. Somewhere between my wifes 70th birthday celebration in the uk and my subsequent visit to Salute last week, the wind has gone out of my sails. It's really hard to knuckle down to painting again. I did manage to prep the Wurtemburgers and yesterday I undercoated them. I now have 300 infantry 50 cavalry and a few guns staring at me from the paint bench and I really can't be arsed.  Making matters worse the summer is arriving in style. The sun is on my terrace and the temperatures reaching 30 degrees. The forest is calling...

                   I think part of the problem was Salute. I think it was probably one of the best organised and attended Salutes I can remember but it failed to excite me. I normally return with some sort of inspiration and goodies I shouldn't have bought. I bought 6 dice and a paintbrush. Now I remember the heady days of Kensington town hall in which my group "Elite wargamers" (we were a modest bunch) regularly participated.  My but they were exciting times. So much new to see and so many new delights at every show. This year I was overpowered by the diversity of what is available. Sometimes I wonder if we don't have it too easy now. Maybe that's what drives me to weird methods of gaming and figures that need lots of work on them (hair curlers , MDF figures, every figure in an army different etc etc.) I enjoyed Salute but it really didn't do it for me. I got lost in a sea of non historical gaming. Now don't get me wrong I love fantasy and sci fi but the plethora of figures and worse the number of rule sets to support the ranges just left me bewildered. Ah well maybe next year.

                So here I sit looking for a catalyst to make me work. Maybe it's not that, perhaps I'm just getting old....

5 comments:

  1. These feelings come and go I think. Nothing to worry about!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think that periods of decreased enthusiasm for almost anything happen to us all. Do something completely different for a bit, even nothing even vaguely wargame related. The drive will likely return before long.

    Or, start a campaign...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I garden at this time of year to have a complete break from work and focus on wargaming as and when I'm ready. So after a day in the garden I'm keen to get some gaming stuff in this week.

    Salute was exhausting and frankly overwhelming. Just so much to see and take in. I have enough 'periods' as it is without new ones to tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would take most of the figures off the table, put in a box marked prepped and just work on a small unit, maybe the drive will come back via that route

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Know the feeling. Cat ruined a polish mdf converted army in march just can not get stuck in. Agree with comment take it slow and different. I am working on terrain one piece per week. Finally after 6 weeks took up a paintbrush and painted a spanish cavalry unit.

    Keep smiling.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete