Total Pageviews

Friday, 4 December 2015

More boys for the archduke...

              I realise I have been a bit quiet for the last few days but as I said in an earlier post I needed a break from the conversions and research etc. I decided to concentrate on some basic Infantry brigades for the Austrians. After a steady week long plod I have another division ready for the fray.
              Once again all the figures are 6mm from Commision Figurines in MDF. The more I work with these figures , the more I like them. They have a toy soldier quality that really appeals to me. I guess I also love how easy they are to paint. I now have enough basic infantry divisions. divisions for 3 of the 1809 army corps. Think I'll go for one more heheheh..
               Ok enough rambling here are a few photos displaying the brigades in all their glory and a couple showing how our insert system works for Blucher. It is proving a very comfortable way to play the game. All three brigades are shown with attached artillery batteries.



I used all the latest ideas on these bases including a mounted officer, more than one flag some conversions to officers etc etc. They also have the new style bases with smaller labels. I think they are a great improvement on previous efforts.


                            We have played a good few games now with the new dice and insert system and it certainly speeds up play and makes remembering traits etc much easier. Below are a couple of pictures demonstrating how the insert and labelling system works.
 

The tickets are backed with steel paper from Coritani magnetic displays. We have tickets reproducing various formations and simply replace them for the units we want to use. If you look at the labels you can see that most of the info is excess baggage but I like having it and think it all adds to the atmosphere if you have brigade names etc to quote in AAR's  The dice have been a great addition. and certainly reduce the need to hunt for a china-graph after every casualty heheh
This photo demonstrates the flexibility of the insert system. The previous photos show the brigades with an artillery battery attached. This one shows the brigade with either the battery removed or lost in combat. You simply remove the battery and insert a blank. They could also be skirmishers or attached cavalry squadrons or even a divisional commander or corps commander. Very pleased with this.





                           I have actually run out of Austrian figures to paint so maybe I'll do  few French cavalry units next! Come on posty gimee my next order hahahahah.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely work as always and I like the removable names on the back of the bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it as it means I can keep the labels for each corps in one slot of those multislot credit card holders. I now have a holder for Italy 1809 and another for germany 1809. Very useful.... I merely change the labels to suit the organisation and size of game i want to play.

      Delete
  2. I like the look of the figures, and the basing is aesthetically pleasing and functional.

    Why stop short of the Wagram OOB (Including Johann, of course)? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With cavalry and grenadiers I can make around 4 of the corps involved and one of the other guys has the other half in lead. Our original aim was to be ready for Wagram in 2016 so in theory we already have most of it. I'm trying to go for the lot in MDF but my resolve which has been exceptional till now may not stay the distance heheheh

      Delete
  3. The bases are very pleasing and the scale is suitable for battalion and brigade level(in my opinion). The massed ranks look convincing for brigade level - I dont think you can really get away with at 15/18mm scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Robert

    Have a great christmas and new year. Thankyou for all your support with ideas.

    ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Always happy to be of assistance where I can.

      Delete