Total Pageviews

Monday, 19 October 2015

Lefebvre's command..(well pàrt of it)

                   I am having a small break from actual gaming for personal reasons. Just a couple of weeks for a few regular tests and stuff. Things we have to accept as we learn to live longer than previous generations heheh. I am however still painting and assembling and converting. I am trying to concentrate on the 1809 Bavarian corps in Germany. Lefebvre's command. I currently have finished in Blucher term two divisions around 16,000 men with one division still to go. I am forced to stop for a week or so while I wait for more troops from Walt at Commission Figurines. I'm going to use the break to tidy up odds and ends on my Blucher units. Just a few pics of The Bavarians. I have included both distance shots and very close ups. The close ups demonstrate the semi flat, "blocky" nature of the models while the distant shots show when you apply the arms length rule the appearance changes to a very acceptable wargaming look!



 I am very happy with the way they have turned out especially with the new basing method. The colour is a little bright but "real" cornflower blue looked a wee bit dark to me.
The infantry are basically straight from the box. The cavalry are big conversions and the skirmishers are French with helmeted heads

I am looking forward to getting them completed and indeed to play some 1809 games without any French on the table.

11 comments:

  1. Those look excellent. Very neatly done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just received some sample packs and very nice they are too. I definitely need to get some small brushes, but can't wait to have a go at painting them. First decision is ruleset and basing. Most likely Black Powder and four bases to a unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend the brushes by Army painter. I use the monster, regiment and detail brushes and occasionally the ultra detail. Providing you clean them a lot as you go along they seem to stand up to the rigours of acrylic paints and painting on the rough wooden surface. Glad you like the figures they have a quality that's very appealing, almost a toy soldier appearance.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip Robert. It's their toy like look that does appeal to me. Close up they're like 'Pippin Fort', but at a distance normal wargames figures. I can see a nice order going in for collection at Warfare:)

      Delete
  3. I love them! I think you made the right call on the coats for the Line infantry too.

    I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head - they have a bit of the look of wooden toy soldiers... which they sort of are, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself becoming increasingly attracted to them. They remind me not only of tou soldiers but those wonderful hazy paintings of 18c battles with their indestinct rows of toby jug infantry and cavalry, yet when you place them on a well made and painted terrain and scenery they look like nrmal metal figures.

      Delete
  4. Not my favoraire scale but these do look rather good! Your comment on colours. I would always recommand going a shade or two lighter than the real colours for war games figures, as the small figure size tends to 'darken' the colours for some reason. For these I'd definitely go for a couple of shades lighter. You want to be able to see them! I think you have succeeded well in bringing out the figures from the background flocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just my scale of choice but of necessity. As my playing area reduced so did the figure scale but fortunately at the command level I like to play I find it ideal.

      Delete
  5. Very nice!

    I think you're anticipating my groups painting schedule - one of the chaps is just deciding on a Bavarian army for the same period :) He's trying to minimise conversion work, so I'm hoping Walt can get some Bavarians in helmets out soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there may just be some good news in the pipeline. He is due to produce cavalry in Tarleton in the next week or so for British Light cavalry in the peninsular. They may just be usable as bavarian cavalry as well

      Delete
    2. Splendid! I suspect a "paint conversion" and at gaming distance they'd be good enough :D

      Delete