Total Pageviews

Monday, 28 September 2015

Blucher bases revisited

     I have been a bit disappointed of late with the visuals of Blucher. I realise now it was the 20mm ticket on the back of the base with all the details. So it had to go. Now a lot of the infoi was redundant after a couple of games . Move distances weren't needed , art skirmish and attached cavalry we had made redundant by using visual elements on the base. In reality the bulk of the ticket was occupied by the elan track. Obviously we could have used a roster but I simply hate them . They produce more table litter and the constant reference drives me insane. To each his own.

       With the decision made a ordered a load of 7mm die frames and dice from minibits and reduced the ticket to 8mm from 20mm. This left a 12mm gap to fill. I simply placed a 12mm strip on the front of the base and matched it to my original bases. Came out well I think without any figure rebasing .. SORTED



The new labels are on the left in all the pictures. I think you can really see the difference visually between the two systems and it still has all the info carried by the bigger tags. 




 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah I was so convinced it would look better I modified 40 bases before I laid them out for inspection. Thank goodness it works.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks its always good to have someone else confirm your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. The idea of the small bases to indicate skirmish etc is inspired. Excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually started this as a means of filling the gaps left by my figure basing system. I used blanks but it hit me that the blanks could serve a purpose hence the skirmish and gun bases . We also have cav inserts for mixed brigades. I must admit as i grow older I tend to forget factors and having visual reminders rather than symbols helps a lot.

      Delete
  4. Your system is good for showing different brigade types and attributes. The dice seems to be a very practical way to track elan (better than roster or marking off boxes. There is still the need for unit label and that seems to be the main visual now.

    In my current game, not Blucher, but same brigade level, I went with clear labels. They are generally readable, can fold up out of the way but there is still room for improvement.

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dice I stole from another blogger such a simple idea. For elan of 7 or 8 I use 2 dice frames and add the dice together however retrospectively I thought of a 7, 8 marker cut from thick plastic. Calls for experimentation. To be honest what remains on the labels (apart from the corps Identifier) is really spurious detail like corps commanders name, divisional commander , description and points value. I could in play terms get rid of the label too but I rather like seeing this historical information.

      Delete