Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Blucher basing Final decision

                       In an earlier post I described some experiments we had been doing with Blucher basing.  We use metal based infantry units of 40x20mm. We settled on Blucher bases of 80x60mm allowing 4 infantry bases leaving a 20mm strip at the rear for elan etc. like those shown below

 Now these look really good on the table with a mass of troops . Very Napoleonic.

 The problem with this configuration was that as our battles got bigger we began to run out of troops. We decided therefore that we would remove one of the front bases and reduce to three and replace the base with two blank inserts.

This configuration not only still looked good but somehow was aesthetically better. The bases took on a more dioramic look. This was the way to go.

During the process of trying this we decided to add trait markers making the bases more identifiable.
Here are our final results

 We have found this not only looks good but speeds up the game. We rarely forget to factor in skirmishers or attached batteries now heheheheh.

The bavarian adventure begins.

                  No I'm not dead just been enjoying the incredible sunshine here in Cataluña. Best summer in the 30 years I have lived here. Work still goes on with my 1809 MDF armies. With the appearance of helmeted figures from Commission Figurines I decided to start on the VII corps. Infantry were no problem , rtillery only required removal of packs from the infantry . The real problem was the cavalry. I tried adapting the Austrians with card or even green stuff but couldn't get the look of the Bavarians so in the end i resorted to the annoying practice of removing heads and sticking on heads from the infantry. Fortunately it gave me the results I wanted. (Walt will probably produce bavarian cavalry now I have sorted it :) )
                  So far I have finished 3x line battalions, 1x12ib artillery unit, 1x light battalion and some inserts for our blucher bases in the form of skirmishers and attached artillery. I also have more artillery prepped and a cavalry regiment:- here are the results so far.

Some of the nicest figures in MDF so far.


The light battalion. The green I used here was the correct one but I think it could have been done with applying the lighter is better rule as it doesn't look right in real life.

The next items are for inserts on Blucher bases . More on this later..

 12lb artillery unit. these are simply infantry minus their back packs.

work in progress
above more artillery
left and right:  cavalry. These are austrians with heads added from the infantry. They look like they will do the job.

                  Time to crack on.

Friday, 3 July 2015

drums and banners

I have been asked how I make the drummers and standard bearers for then 6mm MDF figures. For the drummers Walt of commission figs very kindly includes a number of drums in the packets and you simply superglue them in position on the figure you want to use.  The standard bearers are a little more complicated.

                   For the standard itself I use 0.45mm brass rod obtainable from good model railroad shops. There are several suppliers on amazon (just search "0.45 brass rod") You need rod not wire as the rod is rigid. You will also need a VERY sharp scalpel and a pin drill with a 0.5 mm bit. You can get these as a dremel accessory with a thick shank thus increasing their survivability. Oh yes and of course super-glue.

                At this stage you should mount the front rank of figures that will contain the standard bearer on its base and leave it to dry thoroughly first take the figure you aim to use as a standard bearer. If it's one of Walt's officer figures it's not a problem. If it's an infantry figure simply slice the pack from his back. Next with the scalpel make a vertical cut in the right arm in the direction of the body and cut to the body line. Now from the front of the figure cut vertically into the same arm along the body line until you meet the first cut and remove the slither of wood. You now have a recess in the body and right arm to sit the rod into. Now take the pin drill and 0.5mm drill bit and drill down the line of the recess and into the MDF web the figures are sitting on ie by the right leg.  Now cut a piece of rod a little longer than you require and glue the end into the hole and to the recess in the figure. When it's dry, place a dab of super-glue roughly where the hand would be. This forms the hand when dry. Job done you have a standard bearer.

              For cavalry figures it's much easier. simply drill a hole in the side of the figure beside the right foot. form the rod into an L shape and cut the short leg of the L just short of the body width.
Glue the short leg into the hole and at the same time glue the bottom of the standard to the side of the figure making sure it passes roughly where the right hand would be. again when dry form the right hand round the standard with a dot of superglue.

            To make a finial is simple. simply squeeze the end of the rod with a pair of flat face pliers hence flattening the rod into a spear end shape if necessary trim it into a spear head with side cutters.  Adding an eagle is not for the faint hearted. I cut the eagles from old Baccus figures and drilled a hole in the eagle base into which the rod can be glued. WARNING the eagles are very small and only marginally thicker than the drill bit. As I said not for the faint hearted!

          I hope this helps

left:- nude command strip
right pack cut off to make an officer

left shows the figure with the recess cut. This can be done before or after mounting on the base

right drilling the hole in the web to take the base of the standard

 the completed standard bearer. Only needs painting and the flag and finial added.