Total Pageviews

Saturday, 9 August 2014

What a year it's been..

        This has been my first year of complete retirement. Being the first Summer I haven't been working  every day for 3 months we had the opportunity to join our old gang on their annual "wrinkly meet". From 1966 to 1972 we were inseperable,  some 40 plus lads and lasses who shared all life had to throw at them. They were very full years. After 1973 we all went our own ways in marriage, parenthood, career paths and in several cases other countries. The bonds however never broke and each year for the last 22 years they have met each August and revisited their friendship and the heady days we shared.For my wife and I it was the first reunion. It was wonderful. I hadn't seen some of them physically for over 40 years but it was less of a reunion than picking up the conversation where we left off .  Very uplifting!
       Looking at my old friends, it came home to me that we are all enjoying the evening of our lives and it started me thinking on my own retirement and how I am loving it. I have never been a prolific painter but this year has been a revelation to me. Since January in a state of total relaxation I have started and almost finished my life long dream of a dark age britain project which included paining some 1100 10mm figures. I followed this by starting my other great dream of a couple of imagi-nations. It's well on the way now with around 500 figures painted so far. I have added numerous scenic pieces to my collection and generally explored a million ideas I have long cherished.  In May I made contact with and met the guys of my old wargames group from the mid 70's called  "the elite wargamers".  (Modesty was not one of our strongpoints)
       Finally After 30 years of looking I accidentally met another wargamer in the area I live in and have played a couple of games with him and his regular opponent. As I said at the beginning "WHAT A YEAR IT'S BEEN!!"

Ah well back to work!

2 comments:

  1. What an excellent year indeed for you.I look forward to more posts from you.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your retirement has been so productive and long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete