Total Pageviews

Thursday, 24 April 2014

My "Tuatha" rides out! Oh and more picts

      As I said in my last post, I got a little side tracked from my endless grind of pictish elements to work on an Irish general. I wanted him in chariot but not as a separate chariot element. I have therefore mounted him with his companions who are noble cavalry and the element will act  and fight as a cavalry general and companions. As a centrepiece the element has the noble on armoured horse I posted earlier and the chariot and these are accompanied by a varied number of companions all of which are heavily converted. I have decided to add a tuft of heather or two on each Irish base to distinguish them.


The chariot is a yoke and wheels from a commercial wagon (no idea which) and the rest constructed from plastic card and paper. The general is an armoured Saxon warrior conversion. The driver is from a wagon kit


The figures are all Kallistra conversions from various ranges. I'm starting to lose track of which but the majority are from the unarmoured norman cavalry and Romano-brit horse archers.




 I took some shots of the main characters during construction to better display the chariot.

I had to mount the chariot on card to heighten it to match the horses but this wasn't a problem as the lava sand would hide this. I tried to model the companions with their centre of attention on the general.



I'm so glad now I mounted the cavalry on 60x60 bases as the extra room has really facilitated the diorama possibilities.





     All in all I'm highly delighted with the result. He is if nothing else,  completely unique heheheh.


MORE PICTS

                                      Being a bit "dulled" by the grind of the Pictish bases I decided to concentrate on the skirmishers which use far less figures.  Lots of conversions here and I also made use of some new vegetation i.e. tufts I acquired on the net. The jury is still out on the tufts but the elements look ok




These are all conversions of the unarmoured Normans and Romano-brit horse archers. I seem to have overdone the diorama effect as I am having trouble locating the forward edge of the elements


I only need one more mounted skirmish element now and have to say I have really enjoyed making them.






The foot skirmishers are all from a mixture of kallistra infantry packs and I have reached the stage that I have no idea from which packs they came. I have tended tio use semi naked ones but a few clothed ones crept in for variety.











       I have only a few picts left to make now. and hopefully I can complete them over the next week Then it's on to the irish.

2 comments: