Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

More bloody Saxons

                           I'm still working my way through the Saxon bases I want to make and  I have the one shown here painted and another one rough prepped ready for shields and spears. I have to admit it's quite hard work. When I planned on this project I hadn't calculated just what it meant in terms of sheer effort (something I am a little short on). So far I have made some 36 bases of infantry, making  around 650 infantry and 15 elements of cavalry giving 180 cavalry. I certainly didn't appreciate how laborious it would be as every figure is a conversion. We live and learn. I don't want to give the impression that I'm no longer enjoying it but am daunted by the number of bases I still have to do.

                           This element brings the total to five ordinary warrior elements done and have four left so I guess I should be encouraged by being more than half way to completion  heheheh.


This unit uses figures from across the various Kallistra figure ranges that I have found useful. I mixed original and new shields and varied spear lengths etc. so the element looks really irregular. I'm pleased with these



6 comments:

  1. This is one reason I went with single bases to represent a unit, with four figures per base. I knew I would be able to finish them relatively quickly, given my painting speed and short attention span, thereby getting them to the wargames table nice and quickly. I did work, so I'm happy with that.

    However for my Baltic Crusades project I'm going for three bases per unit and around 6 models per base, so this is a much longer term project for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what has made it worse is the fact I only planned for two armies when I first started. heroic british and saxon. It was the fact they looked so good en mass that decided me to make 5 in all hahah.

      Delete
    2. I was also only going to do two warbands, but current count is 3 with another 1-2 planned:). They are Late Roman/Romano British, Welsh and Saxon/Sea Raiders, with Picts and Irish planned at some point. I just love the idea of a chariot on the table!

      Delete
  2. They look great, so are well worth all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the saving factor! They look really business like when they are laid out together and I am very satisfied with the end result.

      Delete
  3. The most enjoyable factor has been researching the armies, sourcing the figures and discovering that some of the LBM decals for 15mm could be applied to these kallistra figures with modified shields. They really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete