What about the Saxons indeed?
When I started this project there were no Saxons to match the Kallistra Romano Brits. In fact if I remember rightly there were no Romano Brits they were listed as a fantasy range. I have to admit I was very happy to see the release of the Saxon, Viking and Norman ranges as I finally had figures to use to represent the Romano-Brits traditional enemy. At sometime during the process of building the late Romans I ordered some packs of the Saxons and when they arrived I knew I was in serious trouble. It was immediately obvious that I wouldn't be able to find shield decals for more than twenty percent of the figures. To be honest I wasn't sure I would locate any LBM decals I could make shields to match. I eventually remembered from my days of playing 15mm ancients that essex figures tended to be on the smaller side and when I checked I spotted some Viking shield decals DA(essex)1. I ordered some and when they arrived they were perfect.
The shield problem was solved. I would replace half the shields, use decals on some of the remaining ones and those I couldn't be bothered changing I would paint with simple geometric designs. I was relieved to find a solution because I simply loved the Kallistra figures. Not only did they look right but the animation was superb. I didn't like the two up basing so I simply separated them.. I changed most of the weapons and in some cases added both spear and javelin. I love the results. So far I have built a general stand, three noble stands and three ordinary warrior stands.
The generals element came first. I used fully armoured figures including an armoured horn blower. I tried to get a disorganised apppearance to it as I saw the saxons as warrior elements. They turned out quite well.