Total Pageviews

Sunday, 5 January 2014

The once and future

Lets begin with Arthur and the Romans !
                                   As I'm one of those who subscribe to the theory that the facts we were taught in school during the fifties about the dark ages and genocidal Saxon invasions were rubbish and that the dark ages weren't dark at all, my Arthur fought for Rome not Britain. I am convinced by the view that although centralised city based society slowly collapsed the Roman-British rural society survived The people of southern Britain were Romans before the eagles left in 407 and continued to be Roman after that date. So my Arthurians fight and are organised in the Roman style long into the 5th century. My image of Britain is probably a collage of  Rosemary Sutcliffe, Bernard Cornwell, Dan Mersey and Francis Pryor. Now there's a mix. For Arthur and his companions I couldn't quite lose the armoured image so decided to go down the route of Sarmatian style horsemen with obvious Roman influence. All I needed to do was to find a way to achieve that using figures compatible to the Kallistra range. 
                                 The answer was a blend of mounted samurai and Romano-Brit heavy cavalry. I think it worked. I first removed all weapons and shields. I replaced the weapons with spears made from 0.45mm brass rod and the shields were from thin postcard with a plastic boss. For the armoured figures I removed head and shoulders, carved away extraneous items from the Samurai and replaced head and shoulders with those of Romano-Brits. It was a lot fiddlier than I thought with 10mm figures but the end result looks good to me.



                                      For the shields I used the wonderful decals from Little Big Men studios. In this case they were the ones designed for the Pendraken Late Roman cavalry. I made the shields to fit and am delighted with the end result.


The standards were a problem but I solved that by buying the LBM 15mm standards. I downsized them,copied them in negative and printed them with as high a res as I could get on my printer. Not as gaudy as the originals but still look good.


                                 Probably the most difficult and fiddly job was drilling a 0.5mm hole in the hands for the spears. Broke quite a few drill bits till I got the hang of it.


                              More cavalry to follow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment