Total Pageviews

Thursday, 9 January 2014

surfing is so damn exhausting.

                                  I have spent all afternoon surfing the net for figures and I am quite frankly knackered. Should it be like this?.  Just how exactly did we plan our wargames before the net appeared?  I did find a few nice ranges but they were unfortunately all small or real 10mm and not compatible with my stuff. Finally I went back to kallistra and took a real close look at the other ranges. I think I might have found some answers. There are 2 packs in the 100 years war range "light troops" and "scots highlanders" that might work with some converting. The barbarian horde pack will probably work with some green stuff. So it's time to make an order and get experimenting again.. How exciting heheheh..
                                   Oh and BTW surfing is bad for your health and is a health risk to your wallet. I saw some beautiful 15mm dark age ranges with brilliant animation . In particular the splintered light figures set my wallet racing but I managed to resist.  :-)
                                   If I continue to spend this much time researching and getting excited I may not survive retirement! 

6 comments:

  1. Ah, the perils of internet surfing... You are not alone Robert, believe me;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is dangerous out there! IIRC we used to sit there looking at paper catalogues and most of them lacked pictures.

    Interesting blog btw, I like the way you're creating bases that look like substantial bodies of men. I've been tempted by Dux Bellorum myself but have been too distracted by other (WWII) projects.

    Cheers
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks richard. Well dux bell puts the base at 50 men per base for infantry. and an average army is around 400 to 500 men, so the more you can cram on the nearer you get to 1/1. I like to use the name warband for a base rather than unit. It just feels right. it is of course easier in the smaller scales. I found this guys work exceptional http://dalauppror.blogspot.com.es/ post called basing the vikings.. It's REALLY impressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for the DBA approach to basing, as it meant less figures for me to paint and would allow me to finish an army in a relatively short space of time. However I do love the approach both you and Dalauppror have taken. Maybe one day when I have the time I may go down this route, but with my lead mountain the size it is, certainly not today or the foreseeable future.

      Delete
  4. I got the bug for packed bases as a result of my gaming with 2mm figures and to a certain extent my haircurler armies. It also came from Many visits to shows in the UK and looking at the ever increasing eye candy. Although the figures were just awesome, I never got that wow factor of looking at 18th century battle prints. They looked like a football game where only the ref and linesmen had turned up.. They just didn't look like a battle. As a result its the look I try to get in every project i start now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some of the units you see don't have the mass they need to look right, that said some of the more sparsely populated bases can look good if the combination of figures, painting style and basing. Part of it comes down to space, budget and available painting time.

      You might like this French Napoleonic website http://voltigeurs.populus.org/rub/7, once you see a 1:1 scale Battalion laid out you realise how silly some wargames units actually look. It also helps put in to perspective how units manoeuvre, which is something often forgotten on the table top.

      Cheers
      Richard

      Delete