Total Pageviews

Thursday, 9 January 2014

Ponderings on Picts and Irish

                  I had it suggested on the TMP forum that the way to go would be to use figures from Pendraken  ranges ie Gauls and Dacians. Before I start let me say The Pendraken figures are really nice and I have lots stored away but they just don't look good with my Kallistra bases they are much smaller and I can't help thinking the end result would resemble a battle between Humans and Hobbits. (fine in its place but just not on this project) I checked out the irregular and old glory figures .  The irregular figures just wouldn't be suitable for the modifications I make as the shields are in most cases integral to the figures and hard to remove cleanly. I may order a few old glory bags but I have some Saxons and they are between Pendraken and kallistra in size but above all they are so inter-moulded that I'm not sure I could successfully separate them. A great shame because some of their dark age figures are Superb and well animated.
                 Yesterday I got myself onto the kallistra forum and went into gnashing and weeping mode literally begging for more dark age figures. To my surprise and very much to their credit they replied quickly and not in terse anglo-saxon phrases. Thank you Kallistra. their reply read as follows:-

"Hi Bob, there is certainly some scope for adding further additions to the Romano British, Picts and Irish. Currently our designer is very busy working on our WW1 range. I'll add your request to our 'To Do List', which in all honesty is quite lengthy at the moment! So please bare with us!"

I will try not to pester too much but guys please, WW1 is so last year  ;-) Still no parcel from kallistra. Do hope the Spanish mail haven't sent my stuff via the Philippines again. (I kid you not)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Robert,
    I'm not sure if you've seen the forthcoming range from pendraken?:

    http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8255.0.html

    According to Leon they are due to be released around Easter time. I'm definitely going to get some for use as Irish/Picts, either as Allies or a warband in their own right.

    BTW, good to see your Blog getting a nice mention on Dan Mersey's Blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i was gobsmacked to see that, it appeared on my link to his site. In some respects plumping for the kallistra range was, because of compatibility, a mistake. however because they are bigger some of the 15mm LBM decals work nicely and the figures are beautifully animated. If I'm really stuck I'll use pendraken only for the picts and irish and try to ignore the size difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size may not be too much of an issue when the Pendraken figures will be a completely different warband and in a sense not sit side-by-side on the table. You could possibly request a few sample figures to see how they fit before plunging head first and buying a warband? Leon and Co are very accomodating in this respect.

      Delete
  3. Oh BTW steve i noticed in your post of heavenfield that you plan a Late roman army using pendraken. I have stacks of these to do as well. I particularly love the armoured and unarmoured guys with mixed weaponry ARL6 and ARL7 armed with javelins darts etc. really great figs and look great mixed in with the normal figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Late Roman range is wonderful and I've used these for my Welsh/Saxon army, with a few minor conversions here and there. Check out their AWI range as well as it is from the same sculptor, Clibinarium.

      Delete
  4. OH NO!! I dare not even look at other time periods. After 50 plus years of gaming and collecting my butterfly spirit has collected a lead mountain of epic proportion. When I retired I promised myself i would finish 2 playable opposing armies in any project I chose before moving on. I've not done badly so far in fact looks like I may finish 5 armies at least before i leave this one.

    ReplyDelete