Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 29 January 2014

More money than sense?

                     Yesterday the postman brought me two packets one contained the books for "Hail Caesar" and its "brittania" supplement. Now I have to admit these were a completely impulse buy and I will never use the rulebooks. Pretty smart buy eh?? On the other hand they are beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed my first run through of both books yesterday and loved the eye candy. I think these two will make a lot of appearances when I am bored and need some inspiration. beautiful pictures and wonderful painting.

                    The second package was perhaps my greatest folly:-



            Because of the high recommendations I have seen for this book, I have been on the look out for it for quite a while now.  It is now out of print and sells for stupid amounts of money. I have seen it for as much as 425 dollars.. Last week I spotted it for twice its original price and in a moment of total insanity I placed the order. It was with some trepidation and wonder because I had never actually seen within it's covers. When I opened it up this morning it was with great satisfaction that the book was a beautifully presented modelling work of art and is in fact a great source of information as well. I'm still in shock over how much I paid for it but do not, in retrospect, regret doing so.. I love this book and it's contents.

         I am currently, during insanely focussed painting sessions, rereading"the shining company" by Rosemary Sutcliffe for the umpteenth time . Now let me say I LOVE her Roman and post Roman novels. "Sword at Sunset" was one of my main inspirations for this period. She has this wonderful ability to breathe life into her characters and her ability to immerse her readers in the period. An awesome book and I never tire of rereading it. It is based on the events of "Y Gododdin" and is a great read. Hard to believe she wrote for children.
           

9 comments:

  1. The Age of Arthur book is superb! You've got yourself a bargain at just twice the original price :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. Having now seen it's contents, it's not only a great reference book but it's so damn pretty it would make a real coffee table book. TBH I would probably pay upto a hundred pounds on it so getting it for half that is very satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Agree re R.S- a splendid writer indeed and often overlooked/underrated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her writing. considering she is classed as a children's writer her style is very "grown up" and touch on very adult themes. I think sword at sunset, shining company and eagle of the ninth are my favourites.

      Delete
  3. I've wanted the AoA book for a while now but have been shocked at the prices being charged. However I will keep an eye out just in case I see a 'bargain'. BTW the Hail Caeser book is great, but haven't seen any of the supplements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've seen it for 425 dollars (the mind boggles) would Americans actually pay that?. TBH I've been hunting it for a while and the best price is probably around 50 or 60 pounds. The art work and pictures are just stunning.

      Delete
    2. Just picked up a 2nd hand copy off ebay for £25.50 inc P&P, so I'm a very happy bunny tonight:). The Gods were obviously smiling on me!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Robert. My heart was beating somewhat as the seconds counted down but I had put in a good covering automatic bid that sealed it for me.

    ReplyDelete