Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Is that you Norman?

                    I'm afraid my impatience got the better of me last night. While waiting for the Welsh to dry off ready for basing I decided to prep up a few of the new figures I received from kallistra Or to be more precise "THE NORMANS" . These are from pack H-5002 described as "Unarmoured spearmen" . My first impressions as stated in an earlier post were that these would make a great generic spearman after removing the shield and the spears. They were easy to prep because the shield although integral to the body in places was moulded "outside" the frame of the figure and was easily removed with side clippers and cleaned up with a sharp knife.or dremel. I quickly added a round shield and spear and gave them a coat of paint.. I have to admit they look really good and will certainly be found places in any dark age army of mine. I have painted them to the stage of adding decals and am very pleased with them. The basic figure moulding is excellent. nice but not exaggerated detail. Lot's of animation and great positions. Yeah very nice. thanks Kallistra.




This is a few figures rough prepped and already you can see the potential Just a little cleaning and they will be ready for painting..




I painted them in basic rough colours but they would look fine painted with rich colourings too. They will easily paint up to romans or down to picts so I'm very happy. I think quite a few of these may be posted to dark age Britain in various guises.

7 comments:

  1. They've come out really well and will be very generic which should be very useful. I'm impressed by your conversion skills, not confident enough to attempt such things myself unfortunately.

    Cheers
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Richard . There were four of them but I tried painting plaids or near tartan on the fourth one .. I won't be trying that experiment in 10/12mm again.. What a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is hard to get tartan right even in the bigger scales (which is why I haven't tried). A bottle of Dettol comes in very handy for my various painting disasters!

      Delete
  3. @richard Dettol? How does that work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a very effective paint stripper, yes it does have a certain smell to it but its safer to use than other paint strippers. If you leave a model in it for a week the paint just scrubs off with a old tooth brush, if you leave it longer the paint dissolves in the end. I've stripped both plastic and metal figures with it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the info. I'll have to remeber that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be the brown version though, the other versions don't work (so I'm told anyway, I haven't tried them to be honest). So far I've stripped 182 of my old 6mm models which has saved me something in the region of £80.

      Delete