Total Pageviews

Friday, 10 January 2014

Iechyd da! - from the boys on the borders!

I'm a bit bored so I thought I would take you through the process of building a new unit.





The Spanish post office seem once more to have delayed my parcel of figures so it's time to dig through the last of  the spare bag and find enough figures for a western infantry shieldwall warband. As the photo shows there's not much choice.











I've decided it will be western Briton heroic (welsh). The choice is 3 mailed figures and a couple of leathered armoured figs. The rest un-armoured and in some case wearing no headwear at all. I do like some variety.. So selection made it's time to move on to the clean up.









At this stage I remove all the shields I'm replacing. Cut away any weapons and clean up any mould lines. The final part of this stage is to drill the hands for the spears. I make these from 0.45mm brass rod so the hole is 0.5.Once this is complete I put the models to one side and make up the necessary spears and shields and cut the shield bosses from plastic rod.. So all drilled and manufacture. Now its the finger sticking process of assembly.






The warband is now assembled. I decided to use the strap around the horn blower and hang his shield behind him and gave him a spear as his armament.












So there you have it. All the figures are now mounted on ice lolly sticks for painting. Now if only I could remember where I put the black spray!











        From start to finish the whole process took about five hours. I know it seems a lot for prepping figures but I think that's really not a lot for something your going to get hours of pleasure from for years to come.









No comments:

Post a Comment